Sunday, December 12, 2010

No animosity as Hutt, DePape hook up on Facebook

While Swift Current’s Justin Dowling (left) and referee Steve Papp
watch over an injured Killian Hutt, Jordan Evans (5)
of the Broncos engages Jordan DePape of the
Kamloops Blazers in a fight on Friday
at Interior Savings Centre.
(Photo by Murray Mitchell/Kamloops Daily News)

By GREGG DRINNAN
Daily News Sports Editor
Killian Hutt of the Swift Current Broncos won’t play hockey again until sometime in 2011.
But he said Saturday night that he doesn’t hold any animosity towards Kamloops Blazers right-winger Jordan DePape for the concussion that has him headed for the injury list.
“I’m not mad at him or anything,” Hutt said from a Vancouver hotel room. “It could happen to anybody.”
In fact, the two WHL players chatted via social media on Saturday night when DePape reached out to Hutt via Facebook.
“He seems really OK with it and like a great guy,” DePape told The Daily News in a text message. “I feel a lot better hearing that from him.”
Hutt, a 19-year-old winger from Edmonton, has little recollection of what happened after he was checked from the side by DePape at 9:17 of the third period Friday night at Interior Savings Centre. Hutt remembers being on his knees and wondering if one of his legs was broken. The next thing he remembers is being taken into Royal Inland Hospital on a stretcher.
Hutt went down about 20 feet in front of the Kamloops goal. He rose to his knees, before collapsing onto his left side and going into convulsions. He received immediate medical treatment from Broncos athletic therapist Jamie LeBlanc, Kamloops trainers Colin Robinson and Pete Friedel, and Dr. Todd Ring.
“The only thing I really remember was trying to get up,” Hutt said. “When I was on my knees, I thought my leg was broke because I couldn’t lift it. I basically blacked out from right there.
“I woke up when I was getting pulled into the hospital.”
DePape received a charging major and game misconduct. He was suspended by the WHL and wasn’t with the Blazers when they lost 10-5 to the host Spokane Chiefs on Saturday. The length of the suspension is to be determined.
“I don’t know (what happened)” said Hutt, who has 21 points in 30 games. “I’m pretty aware on the ice. I always have been. He came out of nowhere. It’s part of hockey. I’m sure he didn’t mean to hurt me. It just happened that way.”
Hutt was released from RIH on Saturday at 8 a.m. Teammate Andy Blanke’s parents, who are following the Broncos on their B.C. Division swing, had remained in Kamloops and drove Hutt to Vancouver.
On Saturday, while the Broncos were dumping the Giants 4-1, Hutt remained in his hotel room.
“There are pain flashes and headaches and I feel kind of unco-ordinated,” Hutt said, “but what can you do, eh?”
Hutt, who is friends with Kamloops captain Chase Schaber and also knows left-winger Brendan Ranford, said he has had “a couple of minor” concussions during his career, “but nothing that compares to this.”
As a result, he has no idea what is in his immediate future.
“I’ve never really had an injury of this magnitude so I’m just taking it day by day to see how it goes,” he said.
In the short term, he hopes to be allowed to fly home to Edmonton.
Mark Lamb, the Broncos’ general manager and head coach, was just glad to hear that Hutt was on his feet.
“He’s better than I thought he would be,” Lamb said. “Anything walking is better than I thought it would be. It was a little scary there (Friday) night. I was really worried about him.
“It was . . . gut-wrenching.”

gdrinnan@kamloopsnews.ca
gdrinnan.blogspot.com
Taking Note on Twitter

  © Design byThirteen Letter

Back to TOP