Thursday, March 3, 2011

Some Wednesday stuff . . .

F Tyler Bouck (Prince George, 1995-2000) signed an extension with Ingolstadt (Germany DEL). He has three goals and five assists in 19 games this season, which was cut short in December by a torn ACL.
The AHL’s Binghamton Senators have released G Garrett Zemlak (Saskatoon, Prince Albert, 2006-10) from his professional tryout contract. Zemlak, from Saskatoon, made his AHL debut in Binghamton's 5-2 loss to the Adirondack Phantoms on Feb. 27. Zemlak, 21, was traded from the ECHL’s Stockton Thunder to the Elmira Jackals on Jan. 31. The 6-1, 195-pounder has appeared in 21 total ECHL games this season with Elmira, the Kalamazoo Wings and Stockton, going 5-9-4, 2.90, .896. . . .
After beating the Rebels 4-2 in Red Deer on Tuesday night, the Medicine Hat Tigers no doubt were in a celebratory mood. It didn’t last, however, as their bus encountered mechanical difficulties.
Goaltender Tyler Bunz tweeted: “Stranded on the side of the road waiting for a new bus to pick us up..what a night.”
And later, after the Tigers finally arrived in The Hat, F Emerson Etem tweeted: “bus broke down, just got home, good morning and goodnight.”
Later in the day, Bunz was back on Twitter: “never slept in till 3 before haha, feels like the day is already done!”
Darren Steinke of the Medicine Hat News reported: “One of the valves on the air breaks ended up being stuck frozen in an open position. Once an air break on bus loses its air, the vehicle can't move.”
The Tigers spent about four hours waiting for another bus to arrive from Airdrie, and got home after 7 a.m.
Bunz had stopped 40 shots in the victory, so had no doubt earned the sleep.
Meanwhile, according to CHAT-TV in Medicine Hat, the Tigers could be without F Tyler Pitlick (broken ankle) into the second round of the playoffs.
Pitlick, 19, was a second-round pick by the Edmonton Oilers in the NHL’s 2010 draft. He left Minnesota State-Mankato to join the Tigers. In 56 games, he has 62 points, including 27 goals.
All those WHL coaches whose next paycheques will be complete, please take one step forward.
Curtis Hunt, not so fast.
"It's really hard to compete against two teams," Hunt told the Regina Leader-Post after his Regina Pats dropped a 5-3 decision to the Warriors in Moose Jaw on Tuesday night. "The Moose Jaw Warriors are a good hockey team and I thought our guys worked hard. We just couldn't overcome the striped team tonight."
Alan Schwarz has a piece in the New York Times that should make hockey administrators at all levels sit up and pay attention.
Here is one paragraph from that story:
“After examining Probert’s brain tissue, researchers at Boston University said this week they found the same degenerative disease, chronic traumatic encephalopathy, whose presence in more than 20 deceased professional football players has prompted the NFL to change some rules and policies in an effort to limit dangerous head impacts.”
Later in the story, there is this paragraph:
“Probert’s widow, Dani, said in an interview at their home on Tuesday that the B.U. group had said that her husband’s C.T.E. was less developed than that found in most football players of similar age. She added that in his final few years, Probert exhibited some behavior uncharacteristic to him, especially memory loss and a tendency to lose his temper while driving.”
Schwarz’s story is right here and it is a must read.
The SJHL’s Estevan Bruins are looking for a general manager and head coach. There is more right here.
Brandon G Corbin Boes stopped 40 shots for his first career shutout as the host Wheat Kings beat the Kootenay Ice 4-0. . . . Brandon F Matt MacKay ran his points streak to 17 games as the Wheat Kings won for the 10th straigh time at home. He had his 26th goal and an assist, while F Shayne Wiebe got No. 38 and also had an assist. . . . F Brayden Schenn and D Stefan Elliott each had two goals and an assist as the Saskatoon Blades beat the host Edmonton Oil Kings, 8-5. . . . The Blades had F Marek Viedensky (groin) back for the first time since Feb. 20, and he had a goal and an assist. . . . Edmonton F T.J. Foster (shoulder) had three assists in his first game since Feb. 18. . . . Edmonton F Michael St. Croix had a goal and an assist, giving him 119 career points and the franchise’s modern day record. F Brent Raedeke had held the previous record of 117 points. . . .
The host Chilliwack Bruins scored the game’s last three goals and beat the Lethbridge Hurricanes, 3-1. . . . F Jamie Crooks scored twice for Chilliwack, getting the winner and an empty-netter. . . . Chilliwack G Lucas Gore stopped 22 shots. . . . The Kelowna Rockets got two goals from F Evan Bloodoff and beat the host Kamloops Blazers, 6-2. . . . Kelowna F Geordie Wudrick scored his 37th goal. The Rockets are 22-4 when Wudrick scores. . . . Kelowna G Adam Brown stopped 25 shots for his 80th career victory. He is three victories shy of the franchise record held by Kelly Guard. . . . Tri-City D Tyler Schmidt had three assists in the Americans’ 6-5 Tuesday night loss to the visiting Portland Winterhawks. He has 127 career assists now, one shy of Darrell Hay’s franchise record. Hay also holds the franchise record for career points (161), but Schmidt is only three away. . . .
One minor:
Kamloops D Tyler Hansen
And finally, if you haven’t heard about it, a press release from Canadian Interuniversity Sport:
GUELPH, Ont. (CIS) — Morgan McHaffie scored at 17:14 of the sixth overtime period to lead the Queen's Gaels to a 2-1 win over the host Guelph Gryphons in Game 1 of the best-of-three Ontario University Athletics women's hockey final Wednesday night.
The game, which lasted 167 minutes and 14 seconds, including 107:14 of extra time, is the longest on record in CIS or NCAA hockey — women's or men's.
When compared to the NHL, it trails only a contest played on March 24, 1936 that saw Detroit beat Montreal 1-0 after 176:30 of action (including 116:30 in OT).
After battling for 60 minutes in regulation, Queen's and Guelph played a 10-minute overtime period, then four 20-minute OT frames, before McHaffie ended the affair at 17:14 of the sixth OT.
Interestlingly enough, Guelph was only five seconds away from victory in regulation but Becky Conroy saved the day for Queen's with the tying goal at 19:55 of the third.
Queen's now is 4-0 in the 2011 playoffs, all 2-1 victories that went to at least second overtime. The Gaels' playoff results so far are as follow:
- OUA quarter-final: Queen's 2, Windsor 1 in 2OT (20:34 of OT)
- OUA semifinal Game 1: Queen's 2, Laurier 1 in 2OT (13:24 of OT)
- OUA semifinal Game 2: Queen,s 2, Laurier 1 in 2 OT (27:31 of OT)
- OUA final Game 1: Queen's 2, Guelph 1 in 6OT (107:14 of OT)
- TOTAL: 168:43 of overtime
Morgan McHaffie (1-3-4) and twin sister Brittany (2-1-3) have tallied seven points on Queen's four overtime goals in the post-season, scoring three of them.
Morgan assisted on Kelsey Thompson's game-winner against Windsor. Brittany scored both winners against Laurier, each time assisted by Morgan. And Brittany set up Morgan's winning tally against Guelph.
Taking Note on Twitter

  © Design byThirteen Letter

Back to TOP