THE MacBETH REPORT:
F Derek Ryan (Spokane, 2003-07) signed a two-year contract extension with Villach (Austria, Erste Bank Liga). He finished second in league scoring with 27 goals and 39 assists in 54 games with Villach this season. . . .
D David Turon (Portland, 2002-03) signed a one-year contract with Meran/Merano (Italy, Serie A2). He had 11 goals and 12 assists in 44 games with Fassa (Italy, Serie A) this season.
1. The Vancouver Giants announced late Tuesday afternoon that assistant coach Glen Hanlon won’t be returning to work under head coach Don Hay. According to the Giants’ news release, Hanlon left to “pursue a job as a head coach overseas.” . . . Subsequently, there were suggestions that he has agreed to work again as head coach of the Belarussian national team. He previously had worked as the head coach of the KHL’s Dynamo Minsk and with the Slovkian and Belarussian national teams. . . . Hanlon, 56, spent two seasons with the Giants.
2. Grant Sonier was named general manager of the QMJHL’s Charlottetown Islanders on Tuesday. Sonier, who is from Summerside, P.E.I., takes over the franchise that was sold earlier this month and renamed on Monday. It had been the P.E.I. Rocket. A veteran scout, Sonier also did a stint as the Florida Panthers’ assistant GM.
3. In case you missed it, Tuesday was a bizarre night. For the first time in his illustrious career, Mariano Rivera was tagged with a loss without getting even one out. Oh, and LeBron fouled out!
4. If you haven’t been following the goings-on involving the athletic department at Rutgers University, you should be. Bizarre doesn’t begin to describe it. Michael Rosenberg of si.com has a good piece right here.
5. Dale Unruh, who is CEO, president and chairman of the Quality Group of Companies in Fort McMurray, Alta., has bought a piece of the BCHL’s Salmon Arm SilverBacks. Trevor Howlett of Fort McMurray Today has more right here.
6. If you are a baseball fan, you are familiar with the name Dr. Lewis Yocum. If not, well, Dr. Yocum was and is responsible for keeping a lot of players on the field of play. He died on the weekend at the age of 65. There’s more right here.
7. While Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs is awaiting the start of the NBA final, he also is in the middle of what seems to be a nasty divorce. Check out this right here from Deadspin.
8. The Los Angeles Clippers went 56-26 during the NBA regular season. So why did head coach Vinny Del Negro lose his job? Bill Dwyre of the Los Angeles Times tells us right here.
From Damien Cox (@DamoSpin) of the Toronto Star/Sportsnet: “Kings survive. More exciting hockey to come. Think I'll just watch the east. Or baseball. Quicker pace.”
From TSN analyst Darren R. Pang (@Panger40): “That would be best for everyone on twitter. Only you can suck the life out of a GM 7. @DamoSpin"
From Cox: “@Panger40 Your pay cheque is showing. Again.”
From Pang: “That has to do with a pay check? That is a bad analysis. Par for course with you. @DamoSpin”
There has never been a subscription fee for this blog, but if you enjoy stopping by here, why not consider donating to the cause? Just click HERE. . . and thank you very much.