F Dylan Stanley (Tri-City, 2000-05) signed a one-year contract with Feldkirch (Austria, Inter-National-League). Last season, with Gherdëina (Italy, Inter-National-League), he had 77 points, 31 of them goals, in 36 games. He led the league in assists and points, and was third in goals.
1. The new owners of the Regina Pats, who officially took over the franchise on Monday, have a vision for the future, and that vision includes a code of conduct. All of this is to be put in writing and it is something that will guide the franchise and all of its people into the future. Greg Harder of the Regina Leader-Post has that story right here.
2. The Prince Albert Raiders have signed G Ian Scott, the ninth overall selection in the WHL’s 2014 bantam draft. Last season, Scott was 3.12 and .916 with the bantam AAA Calgary Northstar Sabres. He was the Alberta bantam league’s top goaltender for the South Division.
3. The Calgary Hitmen have signed F Mark Kastelic, the 41st overall selection in the WHL’s 2014 bantam draft. Kastelic, from Phoenix, had 38 points, including 22 goals, in 38 games with the Tier 1 Bantam AAA Phoenix Junior Coyotes last season. He has been invited to USA Hockey’s U-15 camp in Amherst, N.Y., July 14-20.
4. Two months after spending a month in a Saskatoon hospital, F Tim Bozon of the Kootenay Ice was back on the ice somewhere in France. Bozon was stricken with Neisseria Meningitis during an Ice road swing and, at one point, was in critical condition and in a medically induced coma. . . . There is more on his return to the ice right here. . . . While Bozon was in hospital, the WHL put out a plea for donations to help the Bozon family meet mounting expenses. Maybe one day the WHL will issue a news release and let everyone know just how much money the people donated.
5. From The Junior Hockey News: “Multiple sources attending the USA Hockey summer meetings in Colorado are reporting that we have seen the end of fighting as it has been known to exist in junior hockey. While it has not been made clear if the rule will take effect in the 2014-2015 season or 2015-2016, fighting is for all intents and purposes, done. The new rule will mandate that players who fight will now get a game ejection. Escalating penalties such as additional suspensions are also expected to be part of the new rule for those (who) continue to fight.”
6. Tim Kurkjian of ESPN is one of the most-respected of all the reporters who cover Major League Baseball. When he started out, he was covering the Texas Rangers, a team managed by Don Zimmer, the “Buddha of Baseball.” . . . Kurkjian remembers Zimmer, who died Wednesday at 83, in a good read that is right here.
7. When NHL commissioner Gary Bettman gave his state-of-the-league address prior to Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final on Wednesday, Vancouver Sun columnist Cam Cole was in the room. Right here, Cole looks at the love-hate relationship between Bettman and Canadian hockey fans.
THE COACHING GAME:
Dwight Mullins (Lethbridge, Calgary, Saskatoon, 1982-88) has left the ECHL’s Elmira Jackals and joined the ECHL’s Evansville IceMen. . . . Mullins, 47, had been the Jackals’ head coach for two seasons. . . . He now is Evansville’s director of hockey operations and head coach. . . . Elmira has an affiliation with the NHL’s Buffalo Sabres; Evansville has been affiliated with the Columbus Blue Jackets for the past two seasons. . . . In Evansville, Mullins will replace Jeff Pyle, who was fired after just one season with the IceMen.
John Goodwin has signed on as an assistant coach with the OHL’s Kingston Frontenacs, where he will work alongside Paul McFarland. . . . Goodwin spent last season as an assistant coach with the North Bay Battalion. . . . He has previous OHL coaching experience as an assistant coach and head coach with the Oshawa Generals. . . . As a player, Goodwin put up 389 points, including 133 goals, in 201 games over three seasons (1978-81) with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
Pat Mikesch has moved up to become head coach of the USHL’s Green Bay Gamblers, taking over from Derek Lalonde, who on Monday was named head coach of the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye. . . . Mikesch, who has been with the Gamblers for three seasons, was the director of player personnel and associate coach under Lalonde.
Yup, the Grizz are most certainly very close to being sold to a new ownership group! We will have more info as it becomes available. #gogriz
— Revelstoke Grizzlies (@RevelstokeGriz1) June 6, 2014
There has never been a subscription fee for this blog, but if you enjoy stopping by here, why not consider donating to the cause? Just click HERE. . . and thank you very much.